Wednesday, March 30, 2022

What I've Been Reading: Late March 2022




 Books about life goals, community, and poetry


How to Begin: Start Doing Something That Matters by Michael Bungay Stanier


I had to rush through this book because it was due back to the library, but it gave me a lot to think about! It's a pithy, worksheet-based how-to book for brainstorming, honing, and preparing a life-changing project, whatever that looks like. I want to check it out again so I can go over all the thought exercises and worksheets, which provide some good tangible help for breaking down a large, nebulous idea into a workable project. Highly recommended.




Life Together: A Discussion of Christian Fellowship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer 


This classic work on the practicalities of Christian communal life was not an easy read for me: I kept getting tripped up on theological baggage that I'm still sorting through. For all that, though, it's a classic for a reason, it's well worth the read for any Christian— agree or disagree, there is a lot of insight and interesting perspective to mull over here.




FSG Poetry Anthology edited by Jonathan Galassi and Robyn Cresswell


I had never heard of the Farrar, Straus and Girous publishing company before, but I've been trying to read more poetry, and this book on the library "New Arrivals" display caught my eye. It's a lovely anthology of a broad range of poetry styles, grouped by decade. I've been reading a couple poems a day for the past several months, taking time to savor the beauty of this art form. Some of the poems don't do much for me; others take my breath away. If you want to read more poetry but aren't quite sure what you like, this anthology is a great place to start.


Previously on What I've Been Reading:

Early March

Late February

Early February

Late January

Early January

All What I've Been Reading posts


~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment