Tuesday, February 1, 2022

What I've Been Reading: Late January 2022

 


For some reason (the reason is Tumblr. And the constant buzz of home renovation making coherent thought difficult the past week), I haven't been reading as much lately: I've started several books, but have only finished one since last post! So here is a single book review for you, and a renewed determination to read more in February for me. Enjoy!


The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs by Peter Enns


This book is a quick, wry, pithy, and hard-hitting read focusing on how Western and particularly evangelical Christians have confused "faith" with "believing the correct things." Enns uses a variety of genres to bring home his point: history (including an excellent summary of how evolution, archaeology, and Pentateuchal scholarship drove many Christians into a defensive position), theology (I especially appreciate his focus on Job and Ecclesiastes), Greek/Hebrew word studies (his insights into the wording of "faith" and "trust" are definitely fascinating), storytelling, and memoir. 


The book covers a lot of ground, sweeping through huge swaths of church history and the author's life quickly, but it also does a great job of connecting various events, showing how the obsession with "right belief" has become front and central in most churches (reflected even in the way that a typical evangelical service is arranged, with the focus on the sermon). The idea of using belief and intellect as a desperate grab for control is all too accurate.


I also appreciated his own story of how he moved from "correct belief" to actual trust. A lot of the doubts and troubles with Christianity that he voices resonate deeply with me, and this book helped me feel less alone.


I'll admit, the sense of humor woven into the writing isn't my favorite— though I did chuckle at the chapter titles, such as "Know What You Believe (Or Else)," "God Wants You Dead," and "'You Abandoned Me, God; You Lied' (and Other Bible Lessons)". But beneath the quips and self-deprecating humor was a lot of insight and ideas worth mulling over.


Highly recommended for everyone, but especially any Christian experiencing doubt— especially if you feel guilty about it! This book was an encouraging reminder that doubt is not an impediment to the journey of faith, but a key part of it.


Previously on What I've Been Reading:

Early January

All What I've Been Reading posts


~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment