Friday, August 28, 2026

What I've Been Reading: June 2026


We were on vacation to visit family in the Northwest for half of June, and I didn't get any reading done then because taking care of a baby when their sleep schedule is completely messed up takes more time than you think. I did read one book this month, though...

Good Inside: A Guide to Becoming the Parent You Want to Be by Dr. Becky Kennedy

My mother-in-law recommended this book, so I broke my "don't read parenting books" rule to check it out. It's so good: no-nonsense, practical, compassionate, and empathetic to the experience of being a child. (I remember as a kid thinking to myself, "I hope that when I grow up, I remember how hard it is to be a kid. I hope I don't forget." Don't worry, past me: I haven't forgotten!) Her approach is pretty standard relationship advice— set boundaries (which are defined as things you have control over, not things that you make other people do), focus on your own behavior, accept that you can't control other people, be empathetic, listen before you talk— that is rarely applied to children. While I don't agree with all of her thesis (I tend to think of people as neutral, not good or bad), it was definitely worth the read. Highly recommend for any parent or caregiver.

(Previous What I've Been Reading posts)

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment