Thursday, October 18, 2012

The "C" Word


Like most travelers, I have a fear of Commitment. Words like “daily routine” and “phone contract” scare me, I avoid planning anything more than three days in advance, and there’s a reason I love my work-whenever-you-feel-like-it job. 

In contrast, over the past few days I’ve gotten a marriage license, been fitted for a wedding dress, and obtained a signed one-year lease agreement, which is currently sitting on my bedroom desk. Times change, I find a home in Missouri, and I learn to commit. 

The reason for this is, of course, my awesome husband-to-be. I learned that I would rather be in Missouri with him than anywhere in the world without him. (Yes, it’s sappy. No, I don’t care.) When I freak out about these mysterious and scary things called “utility bills,” and “deposits,” he’s here to say, “I’ll take care of it.” When I wail about settling down and stopping travel, he stays by me patiently until I feel better.

The bottom line for you free spirits out there? It may not be worth it to commit to things. But one of the most amazing things you’ll ever do is commit to a person.

I never thought I'd be this excited to pay someone thousands of dollars.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment