Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Europe: Some Thoughts from the Halfway Point


Today marks the exact center of my trip to Europe: three weeks behind me, three weeks ahead. I can’t believe that 22 days have passed since I said farewell to Zachary at the Greyhound station. Much of it is a blur, lost in the meditation of bike riding and trip-planning and Skyping with family and snapping beans. Much of it is vivid, soaked in northern sunlight, resting on my tongue as cold soups and cheese on bread, curling into Gothic buttresses and red-roofed villages spattered among the hills like wildflowers. 

This is my last day at the Laubmüehle farm. I’ve had a really great time picking up skills and soaking in Bavaria, but I’m also excited to be headed to Salzburg, Austria tomorrow.  It’s the Sound of Music town, Mozart’s birthplace. I hope to spend two full days, then head to the next farm, in France. This is assuming all my travel plans will come together, which is never guaranteed. Life is always an adventure.

Despite the Europe snobbery of many world travelers I have met (“Oh dude, Europe is so mainstream— you should go to Thailand instead”), I think it’s a great place to branch out to from the States. I feel like my perspective has gained another dimension and like I’ve connected with my roots a bit more.

Tonight I baked chocolate chip cookies for everyone. They turned out a bit different than I make them at home, but I am pleased. Goodbye, Laubmüehle. Hello, rest of my trip.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment