Thursday, August 16, 2012

Europe: How to Make a S'more… in Bavaria!


I thought I knew what a marshmallow tasted like. I thought I had experienced the wonder of s’mores in their greatest form. Friends, I was sadly mistaken. Not only is Germany better at sausage and sauerkraut, it’s better at s’mores. I am not kidding.

Here is how to make the best s’more you’ve ever had.

Step 1: Buy some Butterkeks. If you took mild, really buttery shortbread and turned it into crackers, it would taste like this.

Step 2: Buy German chocolate. Even the cheap stuff is better than your wildest dreams.

Step 3: Buy marshmallows. At first, they are unassuming. They appear to be mere lumps of corn syrup designed for stupid fat Americans who demand to eat their own fare when they are overseas. Think again!

Step 4: Build a fire.

Step 5: Toast the marshmallows. Here is where the real surprise comes: instead of burning or blackening, the marshmallows caramelize. If you stick one of them directly into the hottest part of the fire, it will bubble, melt, and turn that golden brown you thought only perfect marshmallow-roasters could attain. In just minutes, it is transformed into a lightly crisped lump of the most amazing stuff you have ever put in your mouth.

Step 6: Place the marshmallow on the butterkek with some chocolate, and dare to place the deliciousness in your mouth.

Step 7: Die of awesomeness.

I thought s’mores would be best in America. I was wrong. You win, Bavaria, you win.

I got a sudden attack of euphoria moments after eating this s'more, and forgot to take more pictures.
~~~





No comments:

Post a Comment