Thursday, August 9, 2012

Europe: Generosity


“Want a hat?” Uncle Steve asked, plopping a black fedora on my head. “Do you have change?” He dropped a massive fistful of euros into my palm. “That stuff comes in handy.” And then he sat down at the computer and paid for my train ticket from Neumünster to Amberg. 
Pictured: awesome hat and chocolate.

I was speechless. He had told me he would get me to my next destination, but Amberg is a very long train ride away, and I was hoping for a lift to the station, nothing more. I didn’t know what to do or how to react, other than tearing up a bit and saying, “Thank you.”

“You know I know what it’s like not to have money,” he said. “So does Anna.” 

Uncle Steve and Anna dropped me off at the train station armed with a ticket, a pocketful of change, a sandwich, a banana, a croissant, some German chocolate, and a new hat. I felt ready to take on the world. I cried a bit on the train ride every time I thought about the generosity I’d just been shown.

This happens to me a lot when I’m on the road. People are exceptionally generous, related to me or not. They pay for food, give me rides, offer me opportunities, feed me hot chocolate. I am often overwhelmed by the lengths people will go to in order to help me. And all I can do is get teary-eyed and say “Thank you.”

There is no way I can ever pay these wonderful people back. My only way of truly saying “Thank you” is to pay that generosity forward.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment