Saturday, May 19, 2012

How to Take a Walk (especially if you're on the road)


Whether strolling through a park, exploring a downtown, or trying to find the hostel from the bus stop, you will often end up walking long stretches when you’re on the road. The best way to see many places is on foot, where you have enough time to get the full impact of the sites you’re seeing.
I’ve been taking walks with my dad and mom since I was about three, so I take it for granted that I know how to walk. The more people I meet, though, the more I realize that an appalling number of people simply never learned how. Here are some tips.
Wear comfy shoes. Yes, this is a no-brainer, but I see way too many women wobbling around on high heels in the brick-and-cobble historic district near my house. Pain in your feet affects the rest of your attitude, so it’s better to sacrifice heels for shoes that are actually comfortable.
Carry a backpack instead of a purse/knapsack. If you keep your arms and hands free, you’ll have a better balance of weight, making it easier to move. If you have a heavy knapsack banging against your leg with every step, you’ll wear down much faster.
In each step, push yourself forward with your toes. Although the heel-toe method of walking has been challenged by the barefoot enthusiasts, it still makes sense to push off with your toes. You’ll move faster and make walking easier by transferring your energy. This is the number one problem I see in people who never learned to walk: they stomp instead of stepping, bringing themselves to a complete stop every time they place their foot down. This is inefficient and will wear you out much quicker.
Don’t walk too slowly. If you take one step at a time, putting your full weight on each foot, your feet will get sore much faster. If you walk at a slightly faster clip, constantly transferring your weight, your feet won’t take as much of a beating, and you’ll last longer without soreness. Find a comfortable pace and try to maintain it; this is easier than constantly speeding up and slowing down.
My feet are some of my greatest allies when I’m traveling— they give me more freedom, more options, and more up-close views of my favorite places. Happy walking!
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment