Tuesday, July 5, 2022

What I've Been Reading: Late June 2022


 Books about consumerism and the Church


The Day the World Stops Shopping: How Ending Consumerism Saves the Environment and Ourselves by J.B. MacKinnon


This was one of the most frustrating, engaging, controversial, and paradoxical books I've read in a long time… so I highly recommend! The basic premise is a thought experiment of what would happen if the world as a whole cut back consumption by 25%— consuming only three-quarters of the amount of clothing, electronics, household items, toiletries, energy, and so on. This would put U.S. consumption back at levels that were completely normal a few decades ago… but would also wreck the global economy… but might be essential to a livable planet. Unlike what the cheerful subtitle would suggest (which, I posit, was written by an editor and not by the author), it's complicated.


I found myself arguing with the author in nearly every chapter, or at least feeling deeply uncomfortable as he explored the human cost of throwing a wrench in the gears of global industry. One moment I'd feel noble for not buying new clothes— the next I'd feel conflicted as he reported that low-wage garment workers, when interviewed, were asking people in the West to keep buying clothes, which pushes up demand and gives them more bargaining power for wages and working conditions. I felt defensive when he discussed air conditioning as a modern luxury rather than a necessity (in my defense, I don't think Canadians should be allowed to have opinions on air conditioning), but didn't think he went far enough in his suggestion to live by the rhythms of the seasons. 


My persistent attitude, regardless of the chapter, was Just tell me what to do that will actually make a difference! Turns out, there is no easy answer. The last chapter of the book is an incredibly unsatisfying [paraphrasing here]: You can stop shopping, turn off your climate control, never buy new electronics, and repair everything instead of buying new, but that doesn't actually make a difference. The only way to make a difference is to change systems instead of individuals.


And that's what I hate: the idea that what I do will not save the world. How dare my actions not have global consequences! You mean that if I want true impact I have to organize? I have to talk to people? Are you kidding me?! (Insert long, nuanced rant about individual action vs. systemic change here.)


So yeah, this book definitely stirred me up, and perhaps it will stir you up, too. Check it out!



Does Jesus Really Love Me? A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America by Jeff Chu


It's no secret around here that I love Jeff Chu (I subscribe to his newsletter about food-writing, gardening, and co-parenting a cute dog with his husband), and the podcast he co-hosts is one of the only podcasts I listen to), but I had never read his book, which was published in 2013. This collection of stories is bookended by Chu's own struggle with believing in the love of Jesus when faced by the hatred of so many Christians for his sexuality. He embarks on a year-long journey to travel around the U.S. seeking out and interviewing people, from students starting an underground LGBT newsletter in a conservative college, to a church who lost their place in their denomination when they affirmed a lesbian pastor, to a young gay man in a small town still in the closet, to the leader of Westboro Baptist Church. Chu tells their stories with very little commentary, letting the interviewees speak for themselves about their experiences. 


My first impression of this book is that 2013 was a long time ago. Gay marriage was still illegal in most states. Many of the organizations and institutions mentioned in the book (such as Exodus International) have since dissolved or fallen into disgrace. Affirming denominations were relatively new. It was a bit startling to see the contrast between then and now— and a bit depressing to see where the Church at large has not made the slightest bit of headway. (For instance, currently, Chu has gone through seminary and is seeking to be ordained, but his denomination still hasn't figured out whether they want to let him be, leaving him in limbo.)


The book has some reflections about his experiences, but contains very few answers, relying on the readers to both draw their own conclusions about the Church's widely-varying attitudes about LGBTQ+ people. Chu isn't interested in defending his own perspective or theology, only on chronicling his journey through these various people's lives. Well-drawn and thought-provoking, I'd recommend it especially for straight people who want a greater awareness of the many obstacles, challenges, and complications that LGBTQ+ people face in the Church. 


Previously on What I've Been Reading:

Early June

Late May

Early May

Late April

Early April

Late March

Early March

Late February

Early February

Late January

Early January

All What I've Been Reading posts


~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment