Thursday, November 10, 2016

Healing


The past few days, drifting through a surreal dream, have felt like some sort of alternate reality. Despite this, these days have thrown some aspects of my life in sharp perspective. I am not a political activist or a great debater (though these roles are necessary to a better world). I am someone who can only focus on what I can do, right here, right now, to make small differences.

I grow a garden, because learning to feed myself without relying so much on the industrial food system is a small way to heal the earth.

I attend neighborhood meetings, because investing in relationships with my neighbors is a small way to build a resilient community.

I teach writing to teenagers, because it is a small way to help the next generation learn to express ideas and organize logical thoughts.

I give money to and attend church, which is a small way to help North County be a better place to live.

I read the posts from people on my Facebook feed, especially the ones whose perspectives seem confusing to me, because it’s a small way to help me better understand the people who share this country and this planet.

I try to be a good listener. There are enough people arguing in the world— I want to listen, to understand, to empathize. I want to set aside the cardboard cut-outs of different viewpoints and truly open my ears to what people have to say. Everyone needs to be heard. 

Life is in the integrity of the details, and in these strange times, I hope that my small acts of love can be the support for everyone who is finding their right path to make the world a better place. 

I love you all.

~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment