Saturday, July 27, 2013

Facebook Ads Are Weird


At the age of 24, I solidly inhabit the Internet generation. Although I remember the days of dial-up, when I could read an entire act of Macbeth while waiting for the AOL homepage to load, everything about the Internet seems pretty normal to me now. Despite some yelling and screaming at my slow wi-fi connection, I get the general principle of how things work.

These aren't the offending shoes.
But they are most certainly not
 approved by hobbits or elves, either.
Except Facebook ads. Facebook ads continue to baffle me. And you know what? It’s not even really the ads in general. It’s just one that I saw. No matter how many times I try to forget it, it just keeps circling back in my head.

This ad showed a ridiculously high-heeled and uncomfortable-looking shoe. Its caption? “Elves and hobbit approved.”

Can we all just pause for a moment and marvel at how horrible this caption is? 

Not only does it make the editor in me scream and die, but… seriously? Who thought this would be a good idea? What makes them think that a girl who likes Lord of the Rings wants trendy shoes? Don’t they know that hobbits don’t even wear shoes?!

Ah, Facebook ads, you never cease to amuse me. Or make me want to tear my hair out. Either way, I’m kept entertained.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment