Monday, June 1, 2015

In Which We Are Interrupted by Tech Errors

Dear readers,

I wanted to let you all know that my computer is currently dead... well, mostly dead. It is currently with someone who is trying to coax it to resurrect and surrender its files to me. In the meantime, the most essential documents and photos of my life are living on a flash drive, in a format that's not compatible with my husband's PC.  Thus, it's going to be a few days before I'm able to post my PCT blogs again. Sorry!

I thought I'd take this opportunity to share a bit of what's been going on in my life. It's been a very strange several months. Zachary and I are living with my parents while we try to buy a house (we have a contract on one and have high hopes for being able to actually buy it). The physical toll of the PCT caught up with me in a big way a few months ago, and I ended up in the doctor's office after I started having panic attacks, exhaustion, sobbing breakdowns, extreme brain fog, and two-hour naps every single day. (If I wanted that, I would've gone and hiked the PCT again!) One and a half months of extremely strict dieting and a lot of herbal supplements later, I'm still not 100%, but I'm doing a lot better. But having my strength and sanity fall apart like that was pretty scary.

To be honest, one of the most consistent bright spots in my life the past few months has been posting to this blog. Sharing stories is therapeutic to me, and knowing that there are people "listening" has kept me focused on it, and motivated to keep writing my memoir even when doing any other task seemed insurmountably stressful. So thank you all. Thank you for helping keep me going when I felt like I couldn't take one more step.

In the meantime, I hope my computer is fixed soon, and I hope you all have a lovely day. Cheers!

~Lisa, The Mandolin

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Lisa, for your efforts so far. I've been enjoying reading your blog almost daily. I started reading in back in late January or early February and was excited to find a blog that was well written and by someone who had finished the trail. I'm sorry to hear that you have ended up physically sick from your experience. I'm hope you're able to quickly get your computer up and running, because I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of your tale. Thanks, Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to say thank you as well. I look forward to your blog posts everyday. I even sigh wistfully on the weekends when you post less frequently. I've read several PCT blogs, and I value the vicarious wisdom and energy in each of them, but in yours I most value the complete honesty and truth that you put out there for us to read, and to identify with. Thank you for sharing your present day struggles in the same way. Hurry back to us! ~J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to write ... really enjoying your stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, am caught up in your journey and look so forward to getting back "to the trail" and continuing on this wonderfully-inspiring adventure. I'm so sorry to hear of the physicality of the PCT taking

    ReplyDelete
  5. its toll on you physically. I pray that you are restored to good health soon! God is the Great Physician and His power is great! I look forward to the rest of the story when you are able to continue. I have been having some big weekends in the past month with kayamping, campaddling, and achieving a personal best in a one-day paddle-42 miles on the Barren River. I also just attended a Women on the Water Weekend (WOWW), a symposium for learning more paddling skills and techniques, practicing assisted and unassisted self-rescues, etc. I have a long way to go in getting in shape and ready to do some serious hiking. When you talk about Catdog, I fantasize that it's me! LOL take care of yourself and will check in to see if you have gotten back "on the trail." Can't wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your encouragement! A friend was able to rescue all my files, but I need to buy a new hard drive for my computer and install everything to get it up and running. I hope to be back to blogging very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good health and best wishes to you! I too am enjoying your PCT blog 😀 thanks for sharing it with us.
    RA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have been really enjoying your writing. I'm sorry to hear of your post-trail difficulties, but I understand they're quite common among through-hikers. Carrot Quinn wrote of her re-entry problems in her 2013 PCT blog as well, and some of it sounded similar to what you're going through. Just as your mind and body must adjust to hiking constantly, they must adjust to not hiking as well. It's a different adjustment, but not necessarily an easier one.

    Best wishes for a bright future!

    Walt

    ReplyDelete