Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Travel Tip Tuesdays: Why Travel?


Why do you travel?

Inspired by this beautiful prose piece by Terry Tempest Williams, I give you some of my many reasons. 

I travel to see a world that I would never see otherwise.

I travel to meet people who think and act completely differently than I do.

I travel to ride buses with sweaty locals and strike up conversations about how the buses are so stuffy and where the best place is to get a sandwich.

I travel to tell people about my family and learn about theirs.

I travel to meet people who have different presuppositions and worldviews and solutions for the world.

I travel to shake up my ideas and be sure that I still believe what I believe.

I travel to see the sunrise on the Grand Canyon and the kitchen sink of a farmhouse.

I travel to see the wonders of engineering and marvels of nature.

I travel to see the Church in different cultures, languages, and styles.

I travel to learn about war and pollution and clear-cutting and disaster.

I travel to learn about beauty and rebuilding and creativity and love.

I travel to see that adoring “Oh, you’re a tourist!” smile on other people’s faces.

I travel to see how people change the world, and how they don’t.

I travel to be part of stories, and to pass those stories on to others.

I travel to learn about farming, crocheting, hiking, goat-milking, tutoring, babysitting, city exploring, mosaic-making, off-the-cuff cooking and everything in between.

I travel to appreciate other places, and to appreciate my home city more.

I travel to be horrified and delighted by other worldviews.

I travel to give a picture of the world to people who will never travel when I’ve been.

I travel as an act of love.

I travel to be part of the world.

I travel because I want to explore this amazing place we call earth.

I travel to come home.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment