Thursday, June 7, 2012

Where Should I Go? (SeaWorld San Diego)


Some people avoid famous places in a city because they’re overrun with tourists, they’re overrated, or “everybody else does it.” SeaWorld San Diego was previously such a place in my mind, especially after I was disappointed by the San Diego Zoo. (Actually, the zoo is awesome, but if you live in St. Louis with access to a free zoo that’s almost as good, it’s a huge let-down.) However, I’ve now had the opportunity to visit SeaWorld twice, and I can tell you, it’s totally worth it.
Why you should go: This place is a zoo, an aquarium, a circus and a theme park all rolled into one. Not only do they provide entertainment for the tourists, but they also do a huge part for the world of conservation, such as rescuing and rehabbing animals. Plus, the park features cute animals. Lots and lots of them.
What to bring: A poncho! Most everything in the park is designed to soak you to the bone, so wear clothes that you don’t mind getting wet, and keep your camera in a ziplock. Also brings snacks to keep your tummy from grumbling in between churros. 
What to do: I suppose saying “everything” is cheating, so here are some highlights.
Rides: Journey to Atlantis is a combination boat/elevator/rollercoaster that gets you soaked, and is worth riding more than once. The new Manta rollercoaster features a takeoff so fast that it made my stomach churn, followed by a gut-wrenching ride that is simply fantastic.
Exhibits: I love the Wild Arctic area, which features polar bears, beluga whales and walruses, among others. Dolphin Point is a pool where these graceful mammals swim so close to the edge you can reach out and touch them— if they don’t flip around and splash you first. Also, I really enjoyed petting the three-foot-wide rays at the Bat Ray Feeding Area.
Shows: Cirque de la Mer features the most fantastic acrobats I’ve ever seen in real life. All I can say is some of the performers must be Spider-man clones, and one of the acrobatic duos violated the laws of physics before my very eyes. Blue Horizons tells the story of a girl who followed her heart— which apparently means that you get to spend an evening with the god of the sea and ride on the backs of dolphins (why the heck doesn’t that happen to me when I follow my heart?). It also features the only performing short-finned pilot whales in the world, and when you see a sixteen-foot creature from three feet away jumping into the air, it’s hard to keep from tearing up. Finally, Sea Lions Tonight spoofs all the different SeaWorld shows, using lovable pinnipeds as the stars. I laughed so hard I was nearly crying, and the sea lions are unbearably cute.

One way or the other, there's something for everyone here. It's not cheap to get in, but if you can afford it, don't miss the opportunity to see some amazing animals you can't find anywhere else.
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment