Thursday, May 24, 2012

Where Should I Go? (My Top Five Hostels, Part One)


Announcing my new “column:” The Traveling Mandolin’s “Where Should I Go?” (I know, it’s catchy, right? I made it up all by myself.) Every week (probably on Thursday), I’ll write about a place that’s worth visiting. Since I’m kicking off the series, I’m giving you five. 
Having always been a budget traveler, I’ve only once had enough money to stay at a hotel. I didn’t like it. I felt lonely, isolated, and paranoid most of the time. Fortunately, I discovered hostels, and my travels were never the same again.
Here’s a list of my favorite hostels, which I highly recommend, should you ever get a chance to visit them. You’ll notice that three of the five are in California. This is for two reasons: one, there are a lot of hostels in California. Two, I spent a month visiting the different hostels up the coast one time. I’ve never visited the hostels in the Midwest or New England, so my experience is limited. Now, without further ado, I give you My Top Five Hostels, Part One!
The view out the window is awesome.
5. Green Tortoise Hostel, Seattle, Washington
Location: You’ll find the Tortoise in the upper story of a building directly across from the Pike Place Market, within easy walking distance of everything along the waterfront.
Best perks: The bunks are luxurious, with personal lamps and curtains that you can draw. When I visited they even made the bed for me, which is unusual at a hostel! They have free communal dinners three times a week, and a free breakfast every morning, plus tons of events to participate in (mostly involving booze, but also walking tours and the like). Sometimes there are volunteer opportunities that let you work for a few hours in exchange for a free night.
What else you need to know: This place charges a heftier fee than most hostels, but considering the privacy and the amount of food you consume, it’s totally worth it. Also be sure to have $20 cash for a deposit that you receive back after your stay. Participate in the events if you really want to meet people.
My favorite memory there: I volunteered to wash dishes for supper, and the other volunteer was a slight 18-year old kid. During our conversation, I learned that he had just spent the past 14 months traveling all over the world, everywhere from Eastern Europe to South America. Stunned, I asked him what had inspired him to take such an amazing adventure. He just shrugged and said, “My girlfriend dumped me.”
In a nutshell: The Green Tortoise has a chill atmosphere, great amenities and an international crowd of all ages. If you’re visiting Seattle on a budget, this is a fantastic option!
And this hostel has cannons!
Location: This hostel is part of a renovated systems of forts, in a state park called Fort Mason. Step outside the front door, and you’ll see the San Francisco Bay— with the Golden Gate Bridge to your left and the island of Alcatraz directly ahead. A short walk takes you to the Fisherman’s Wharf tourist district.
Best perks: This hostel is relatively peaceful, and is surrounded by beautiful scenery including the park, a nice view of the skyline, a community garden, and beaches. They have free breakfast in the mornings as well as a café where you can cheaply purchase snacks for the day.
What else you need to know: The rooms are pretty spartan and host several people at a time, so plan on bringing earplugs. Because it’s such a big hostel, you have to be especially extroverted to make contact with other people. 
My favorite memory there: My sister Mary and I ate breakfast with two Taiwanese sisters who had lived in Argentina for most of their lives. It turned out they were Christians, too, and gave us a lot of encouragement about our upcoming trip. I’m friends with them on Facebook to this day.
In a nutshell: If you want to visit San Francisco without staying at one of the noisy downtown hostels, give this place a try. I love its scenic quality and its easy access to anywhere in San Fran.
Tomorrow, I’ll give you Part Two. In the meantime, what are some of your favorite places to stay?

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment