Friday, April 29, 2011

Epic Trip Out West, Day Twenty-Four: a Child's World

The past couple days have been a whirlwind, switching from a culture of Latter-Day Saints to Irish Catholics. I am currently sprawled on my bed in the M’s house in Wyoming, on a blanket decorated with a detail from The Book of Kells, worn out.
The M’s have three children, aged five and a half, two, and nine months. That’s another change to get used to, a chance to brush up on my mothering skills while learning to see the world through the eyes of a child. Everything is written in bolder colors at that age: not getting your favorite soda is the end of the world, and chicken nuggets are equal to heaven. Minutes are hours, hours are milennia, and tomorrow is so impossibly far away, it’s not even worth thinking about. Mom and Dad know everything, but they are so awfully confusing and keep you from doing perfectly logical things, such as running out the door with mismatched shoes or hitting your little brother on the head with a Dr. Seuss book. There are tears, many tears— but anyone who’s seen a baby smile has seen the face of God.
Oh, another thing. Children have lots of energy. Thus, I am going to bed now.
~Lisa Shafter
Budget notes: Four awesome women from the L’s church drove me to Salt Lake City so I could meet the M’s there, and they gave me $26 in spending money! I’ve already spent $6 on frozen yogurt (I’m addicted to the stuff now), and saving the $20 for later. Also, I spent three dollars to attend a workshop about whole-food cooking.
Money spent in the past three days: $3
Leeway so far: $176.05

1 comment:

  1. So where do your thoughts reside in the context of future family life? You know your mom is sitting here like some kind of expectant grandma. :)

    ReplyDelete