Saturday, August 29, 2015

Another Exciting (Blog-Related) Announcement

Dear readers,

Just a few minutes ago, I typed the final words of my rough-draft PCT memoir. Wow. At 226,109 words (563 pages) long, it’s the biggest writing project I’ve ever tackled, taking about 10 months to complete. 

Thank to you to those of you who’ve been with me so far on the journey. There are still plenty of blog entries ahead, but I’m proud of myself for getting to the end.

I wrote this memoir for several reasons. I wrote it to share with you, my readers. I wrote it to pass on to my children someday. I wrote it as fast as I could to get down the details before they faded from my memory. But most importantly, I wrote it to help me process everything that happened. I don’t think I truly dealt with the trail until I wrote it down— that part of my life was swirling around in my head like a strange dream, and it didn’t feel real until I put it into words. Today, more than ever, I feel the reality of what we accomplished. I’m proud of that accomplishment, and I’m proud of the words I’ve written, however inadequate, to preserve its memory.

It was an incredible journey, and I’m forever grateful that God gave us strength and opportunity to finish, and that Zach’s patience with me never died. I’m grateful for the chance to preserve those memories, and for the chance to share them with hikers and non-hikers alike. 

As always, thanks for reading. I think I’m going to go take a walk to celebrate.

Cheers!

~Lisa “Leftovers”

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Lisa for sharing your experience and adventure with the world. I have enjoyed reading your blog and living the PCT vicariously through you. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this beautiful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have enjoyed following your well told adventures. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the superlative contents on your blogs and I perfectly enjoy going through them.
    Mustang Trekking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your amazing journey and it's true impact is just beginning. Haves thoroughly enjoyed becoming immersed in the day-to-day rigors and rewards of thru-hiking the PCT. and the wonderfully-descriptive re-telling of this amazing adventure. Thank you for your honesty and personable capture of the true essence of firsthand knowledge of the trail. Looking forward to the "rest of the story."

    ReplyDelete