Friday, March 14, 2014

Dehydrating and Disney Songs


It’s been a stressful couple of weeks for many reasons. Zach and I are moving in about two weeks and I haven’t packed up the house. We’ve been trying to find people to store our stuff (although that’s coming along pretty well now). We’ve been figuring out all the things we have left to do and buy before the trail. We need about 75 more breakfast meals, but only two more dinners. I need four pairs of shoes. We need to figure out our stove system. Which camera should we bring? Do we have enough gear? Do we have too much gear?

Today Zachary and I were feverishly working on our backpacking food before he had to leave for work. While he vacuum-sealed packets of dehydrated chicken and beef into week-sized portions, I poured boiling water over canned chicken to try to remove as much fat as possible before putting in a new dehydrator load. As I worked, I began half-singing, half-humming, as I often do. I was hum-singing “Let It Go” from Disney’s Frozen. Zach hasn’t seen the movie yet, but he’s heard me sing it plenty of times.

A minute later, from the adjacent room, Zach sang loudly: “The chicken never bothered me anyway…”

To which I quickly chimed in,

It’s funny how dehydration
Makes all the beef seem small
And the chicken that once controlled me
Can’t get to me at all!

That was as far as I got before I was laughing too hard to continue. It’s been a crazy few weeks, and things are probably going to get a bit crazier before we actually hit the trail. But I think, I really think, that everything is going to be okay.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment