Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ramblin' Road Trip, Day Four: Long and Winding Road

When I saw the sign that read, “Narrow Winding Road, Next 22 Miles,” I wondered if our decision to take Highway 1 down the coast was a bad one. We had agreed upon it, since we thought it would be scenic and since Zach was willing to drive it. Imagine, seeing the white-foaming waves crash upon the picturesque California coast! View in your mind the stunning panorama of wild sunlight upon the glistening ocean! The surf, the sand, the solitude! What could be better?
“I’m carsick,” Zach said as the topsy-turvy road nearly sent us spinning off into the sea. “Do we have any more water?”
I shook the near-empty bottle. “No.” There was nowhere to fill up, just miles upon miles of road snaking through the admittedly pretty scenery along the coast— well, it would have been prettier except for the mist that had settled over the ocean. The entire landscape to our right was a blank sheet of gray. 
I put on a fake grin. “Having fun yet?”
“I would give anything to be on Interstate 5 right now.”
I sank further into my seat and began munching on chocolate-covered pretzels. We were both thinking about the turn-off we had passed about ten minutes ago, a turn-off that promised to lead us back to the comfort of Highway 101.
“But it’s scenic,” I mumbled.
Zach didn’t reply audibly as we swooped around another sharp curve.
“Do you want to turn around?” I asked.
He paused for several long seconds, looking distant and seasick. “Yes.”
We pulled a U-turn and suffered through another 57 miles of rolling hills that twisted and turned with rollercoaster enthusiasm. At last, 128 spilled us out on Highway 101. Zach returned to cruise control. We listened to Simon and Garfunkel. The scenery on 101 was pretty boring, but neither of us minded at all.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment