Monday, February 4, 2013

Where to Go: SkiBowl, Mount Hood, Oregon


Last Saturday, Zach and my sister-in-law and father-in-law (the novelty of this statement still makes me feel all bubbly inside) and I left an unseasonably sunny Portland in the morning and set out for Mount Hood. This was my first time visiting a snow-capped mountain, and as the picturesque peak drew closer I got more and more excited. We had one thing on our mind: sledding!

After driving over slushy roads between walls of two to eight-foot deep snow on either side, we arrived at the Mount Hood SkiBowl, an area where you can rent inner tubes and sled to your heart’s content. Armed with three-hour passes, Zach, Ivy and I were determined to make every minute count.

Sledding at SkiBowl made me relive those wonderful moments of childhood, from death-defying drops to airborne leaps to bailout and collisions and giggling and burning legs and shoes slipping on ice as you scramble to reach the top of the hill again. That said, SkiBowl employees monitor the sledding and you are assigned lanes, so it’s more like an amusement park than anything else. There are also two (sometimes three) levels of sledding, from mild slopes to more exciting plunges.

Why you should go: Sledding is awesome. Sledding with a stunning snowy mountain peak to keep you company is even better.

How to get there: Here is the direction page.

What to bring: Money ($25 for a three-hour pass), warm and waterproof clothes, shoes with good grips.

What else you need to know: You have to be in good shape to do this right, and like any good sledding experience, it will leave you sore. Two days later, my arms are still killing me from dragging my inner tube up the slope a thousand times. This makes me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment