Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Travel Tip Tuesdays: How to Find People to Help You on the Road


There’s no way I could have traveled as extensively as I have without a ton of help. Something that has surprised me most over the years is how incredibly generous people can be. From taking me to sightseeing in Utah to buying me a train ticket, family, friends and strangers have showed me kindness that I could never hope to repay. 

My second cousin Nichole took me to see Red Rocks
Amphitheater near her home in Denver, Colorado.
Asking for help requires humility, a sensitivity to other people, and a readiness to take whatever the experience throws at you. In each of these suggestions, think about what you can give to the people who help you, even if it’s just the gift of gratitude and making beautiful memories together. 

Post on your Facebook wall. A few days before spring break one year, I posted on Facebook, “Spring break is coming up. Where should I travel?” I got two different invitations to far-off locations by friends I hardly knew.

Join couchsurfing. Yes, yes, I know I harp on this a lot. But it really is one of the best ways to find travel help! I’ve saved hundreds of dollars thanks to this community.

Find some distant relatives. This depends on your family, of course. Still, I was surprised at the number of relatives who came out of the woodwork when I needed help on the road. I owe a lot of my travel experiences to my uncle (Germany) and a few different second cousins and first-cousins-once-removed (Colorado and Arizona).

Not only did I get to experience the stark beauty of
Wyoming, but the kids I babysat were darn cute.
Ask around about help exchange. I used volunteer programs to find most of my opportunities, but friends and relatives in other towns are often looking for a tutor or babysitter. A note from a former coworker took me to Wyoming to see the sights in between babysitting his kids.

Keep your eyes open. Opportunities are everywhere, so don’t write anything off. I usually felt uncomfortable with my friends trying to find me places to stay, but the week in the Netherlands, courtesy of my future grandmother-in-law’s neighbor’s friends, proved that a wonderful situation can blossom in the most unexpected places.

Now that I have a little house of my own, I’ve been thinking about the ways I can help other people on their travels. Generosity, like any of the virtues, is deeply inspiring. Who will you be generous to today?

~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment