Saturday, February 23, 2013

12 Amazing Cities I've Visited, Part Three


Here is the conclusion of the matter (a continuation, as you may have guessed, from Part One and Part Two). Since the cities I’ve visited most recently are all in Europe, you’ll find a lack of American cities in this final four. Here they are!

4. Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The Rijksmuseum alone would be enough to put this city in my top 12. It was my introduction to Europe, showing me that the painstakingly-crafted historic-looking cities in the US are copies of the real thing on the other side of the Atlantic. With scenic canals, amazing museums, and a vibrant cultural life, Amsterdam is more than worth the visit. (Hostel recommendation: Shelter City proved to be safe, clean, and friendly at a bargain price— well, bargain for Amsterdam.)


3. Hamburg, Germany. The thing that impressed me about this city was the care and craftsmanship that seemed to go into every building. From the sweeping harbor views to the tucked-away cottages, this city is both grand and charming. Take a ride on the ferry for the best views of the city and harbor.


2. Nuremberg, Germany. I can’t even explain how much this city impressed and fascinated me. It is magnificent on every scale, and from the medieval castle to St. Lorenzkirche to the house of Albrecht Dürer, there is plenty to see. The city tour, along with a tour of the castle, was more than worth the euros I spent (find English-speaking tours at the nearest Tourist Information office). Be sure to try some Lebkuchen (gingerbread) and Nürnberg sausages while you’re there.


1. Salzburg, Austria. I look back on the photos I took of this city and just gape. This is a city on an epic, but distinctly European, scale. The winding streets give way to huge courtyards, massive churches, and other buildings of remarkable beauty. The whole city climbs up a hill (read: mountain), on top of which perches a castle straight out of a fairy-tale. And if that wasn’t good enough, a mildly challenging hike from the city center takes you to views of the Alps that will blow your mind. If you are ever remotely near this city, take the time to spend at least a day.


What are your favorite cities? Which should I absolutely visit before I die?




~~~

1 comment:

  1. Oxford in England is very beautiful. I've only visited it a few times, so I don't know about how much stuff costs or anything, but it oozes history from every pore, and it's full of arches and gargoyles and churches and bridges. Every street is like a postcard.

    ReplyDelete