Thursday, November 29, 2012

10 Photos of Nob Hill, Albuquerque


Albuquerque (of Bugs-Bunny-esque fame) is a memorable city, and not just because of its name. It’s the largest city in the region, but it has no skyline. Instead of attempting to be glassy and modern, it squats low to avoid the desert heat (unlike some city I know, Tucson!). I had the good fortune to spend a day there on my Epic Trip Out West in 2011, and found it to be one of  the most intriguing tourist towns I’ve ever visited. Like the Wyoming desert or the Petrified Forest, it’s lingered in my memory far more than many other places.

Nob Hill is the Route 66 district, a ghost town on the weekday I visited. The photo ops were frequent, and even with my limited skill, I got many shots that fascinate me every time I see them. Here are 10 shots of a bygone era.
The patterns in this place make me feel quiet on the inside… and like
listening to Simon and Garfunkel's "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)."

It's not easy to carry the weight of the world.

My travel buddy, Amanda, insisted that we go check out the abandoned hotels and gas stations.

The place had a sad feel to it.


I don't even know what this quote means, but I think it's probably deep.

This gas station had seen better days.

So had this hotel.

I wonder who was the last person to stay in Room 16?

I love the aesthetic.

I was tempted to steal this owl.

1 comment:

  1. I know the riddle of the sign, Lisa. One letter is the difference between war and peace. . . hmmm. . . is that really all it takes? Then does a sign that says DOG SPELLED BACKWARDS IS GOD mean that a person finds faith by turning their thoughts around? Enjoyed the pictures. Wish I could've visited this place. It may have sparked a song for me or at least a good blog post.

    ReplyDelete