Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Travel Tip Tuesdays: Getting Started


I want to travel, but I don’t even know where to get started. How do I begin?

This is the problem with any huge project, whether it’s taking a trip, founding a business, launching a career, or changing the world: where do you even start? My answer is a rather gruesome metaphor my parents taught me. Every time they caught me wailing about how messy the room was or how long this stupid book report had to be, they’d ask, “How do you eat a whale?” I’d grudgingly reply, “One bite at a time.”
I also know how to hug a whale— at
least when I'm on San Juan Island!

That’s how you tackle any big project. One bite at a time. As a follow-up to yesterday's questions, here are seven of the first bites you can take.

Read travel guides. It sounds simple, but this is one of the best ways to get ideas. Go to your library, find the travel section, and pull out any book that looks interesting. Some of my favorites are Europe Through the Back Door, Wanderlust and Lipstick, and Volunteer Vacations. I also love books about unusual sites in different countries, hiking trails in each state, and budget books for major cities (such as the “Let’s Go Budget” series). You can learn travel techniques, destination suggestions, and all sorts of awesome new information.

Determine where you want to go. Maybe it’s a location, such as Bellingham, Washington, an environment, such as “the desert,” or an experience, such as “an organic farm.” When the place you want to travel has a name, it opens you up to the next bites.

Research how to get there. In my experience, simply getting somewhere is by far the biggest expense. Look into all the options: flying, driving, taking a bus or train, ride-sharing, ferrying, etc. Use travel guides to help you think about this step.

Figure out what’s in your way. There’s always a slough of obstacles to any big project. Find them and name them. Lack of money? Family commitment? Not enough time? Fear?

Brainstorm how to overcome those obstacles. You have to get creative. Could you save the money by taking funds from something else? Could you bring your family with you on your trip? How can you create time for your dream? How can you overcome your fear?

Start saving money. Let’s face it— it takes a lot of money to travel. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I gave up almost every luxury in order to have the luxury of travel. Even a few small sacrifices here and there can make a difference.

Do something small every day to work toward your goal. Research how to fly cheaply. Sign up for couchsurfing. Read about the homiest hotels in Peru and the best local food in Salzburg. Small actions add up, and it’s always better than doing nothing. Make your dream happen, one bite at a time.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment