Monday, September 10, 2012

Europe: Thoughts from a 4am Hostel

Orcas Island, Washington, 2009

Outside Neuenrade, Germany, 2012

I spent my last day in Europe speed-walking around Amsterdam (as I am apt to do), with long breaks for the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. Both were more than worth the admission price, although seeing both in one day was mentally exhausting. You’ll get an extensive blog about those later.

My hostel for the night was Shelter City, the same hostel I stayed at on my first day in Europe. This stay was much more pleasant because, 1) I am not jet-lagged, 2) the hostel is not completely packed out, and 3) I got a better room for cheaper. I met some of the staff here (one gave me free orange juice!) and attended a Bible discussion that the hostel holds. It was good to just relax after my day hoofing it around Amsterdam. 

As I write this, it’s 4:51am. I have been awake for nearly three hours now. Last night when I was drifting off to sleep, I was determined that I wouldn’t miss my alarm. My body took my mind seriously, and woke me up at 2. I wasn’t able to get back to sleep. So here I am, sitting in a deserted hallway of the hostel, preparing for a day full of 16 hours of travel. 

Last night as I laid in bed, I began thinking of Shelter City’s “theme Bible verse.” It’s printed on their t-shirts. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” (Psalm 91:1) I began reciting this psalm to myself, and I remembered something.

When I took my first solo trip, to Bellingham, Washington, I spent a bit of time each night memorizing this psalm. It comforted me when I was alone in my hotel room (I hadn’t yet stayed in a hostel, and had never heard of couchsurfing or HelpExchange). That first trip drew me closer to God because every day was a Northwestern burst of pure joy, and I shared every glorious moment with him. On this trip, my travels have often been tinged with melancholy, and I have never been this stressed about train connections and trip plans before. But in both joy or stress, God is God, and he is always there for me.

As I recited the words to myself last night, I thought about how beautiful it was that the psalm should come to mind. The first night of my first solo trip, I fell asleep reciting it. The last night of my last solo trip, I did the same.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night, 
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes 
and see the punishment of the wicked.

If you make the Most High your dwelling— even the Lord, who is my refuge— 
then no harm will befall you, 
no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you, to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against the stone.
You will tread upon the lion and the cobra,
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

“Because he loves me,” sayd the Lord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

Farewell, Europe. Farewell, solo travel. And thank you, God, for opening the door to my new life.

~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment