Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Small Steps, Carrot Juice, and My Intermittent Annoyance with the Nature of Physicality


Today I succeeded at working myself up into yet another stress-frenzy. I wonder if this is going to happen every other day until I leave for Europe. I hope not. Maybe I should have eaten some protein for breakfast, instead of nuking myself with carrot juice and kale (delicious, healthy, blood-sugar-spiking). Too often, I am prey to the whims of my hormones, the confines of my animal nature, and the existence of my body.
Bodies… who needs 'em?
I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. Many people can’t stand their bodies, can’t stand being trapped in this hunk of meat day after day. I’m not like that most of the time, but when I find that what I have eaten for breakfast is the difference between having a breakdown and not, I get annoyed with my beastliness. Why can’t I just have the will of spirit to overcome the reality of my body?
Mind over matter works to a certain point, but the mind and body have to be somewhat agreeing with each other in order to function properly. Sometimes, I just need to eat some almonds and take a nap. When I wake up, things still look overwhelming, but not paralyzing. And it’s a lot easier to follow good advice when you have a hot meal in your stomach.
The planning continues. One little baby step at a time, it goes on.
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment