Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Travel Tip Tuesdays: 9 Tips for Meeting People on the Road


“How can I meet people when I’m traveling?”
Some people can go for days or weeks without exchanging more than a few words with their fellow man. I am not one of those people. Having grown up in a family of six, I’m used to constant interaction, and I feel jittery and lonely if I’m by myself for too long. When I travel solo, communication with strangers is essential. Even when I’m not traveling by myself, it’s still awesome! Here are nine tips to get you started.
Join Couchsurfing. Even if you don’t actually surf at someone’s house, you can search for locals who want to hang out and show you their city.
Hostel buddies! (She even let me crash
at her house later on in my trip.)
Stay at a hostel instead of a hotel. You don’t have to stay in a dorm— get a private room, then spend time in the common area, cook meals in the shared kitchen, and introduce yourself to the people you see. 
Wear a really big backpack. Everybody asks about it.
Dress like a tourist. This may not work so well overseas, but in America, there will always be people like me who think tourists are adorable and go out of their way to speak to these cute creatures.
Be open to outside conversation. This is much easier if you’re traveling by yourself, especially if you’re female, but it applies to everyone. If you’re sitting in a café totally absorbed in a conversation with your travel partner, no one will approach you. If you and your buddy are walking down the street with open expressions, greeting everyone who passes with something more meaningful than, “Hi,” you’re on the right track.
Compliment people on their dogs and their babies. If you’re a dog-owner or a mom or dad, bring it up at every opportunity to people who obviously have common ground.
Ask friendly-looking people for travel advice. “Excuse me, I’m new in this city. Could you tell me the best place to get breakfast around here?” (Ask people who will not think you’re hitting on them.)
Just beware of statues asking for a kiss.
Genuinely listen to people. Actually, this is a good tip no matter who you’re talking to. Some folks will actually want to hear about where you’re traveling, but most just want to give you advice or tell you about their own exploits. And, let’s face it, oftentimes people have traveled a lot more than you have!
Dance— anywhere, anytime, especially when there are a lot of people around. Click your heels. Pretend to be a statue. Take a bow. Be goofy. You’re with a bunch of new people anyway. What do you have to lose?
~~~
Have a travel question? Leave a comment and I’ll answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment