Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Our First Twenty-Miler


Yesterday, Zach and I decided to walk from Frontier Park to Creve Coeur Park and back, a distance of roughly twenty miles. This was the longest consecutive walk either of us have ever taken, and walking it with no warm-up seemed like a great idea. 
The short story is, we made it. The hardest part for me had nothing to do with my legs— it was my stupid sensitivity to sunlight that gave me a pretty good case of sunstroke, complete with nausea and a blinding headache. I was able to push through it, though, and with the sun below the horizon, we enjoyed a cool breezy last-four-miles home.
Last night I was limping around, but today I’m back to normal. If seized with a sudden fit of amnesia, I wouldn’t ever guess that I had walked so far yesterday. This gives me hope for my future hiking plans. I have no athletic ability, but darn it, I can walk twenty miles!
Miles walked yesterday: 21.6
Hours spent on walk: 7
Water drunk: Well over half a gallon each
Sunstroke: Yes
Sore legs: Not really
Good time had by all? Yes!

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment