Friday, March 16, 2012

Ramblin' Road Trip, Day Ten: Some Humdrum Facts About What I Have Been Doing in San Diego

Keeping a blog on the road is one of my biggest challenges. I used to have the same problem with my diary: when a particularly boring part of my life trickled by, I journalled for an hour or more every day, recording my thoughts on dinner and essay writing and the Crocodile Hunter. But when something exciting happened, when a bunch of friends came to visit from out of town, or when we went on vacation, I couldn’t keep up. It’s the same now, and will always be the same. Thoreau observed, “It is shameful for a man to sit down to write if he has not first stood up to live.” The problem is, when a man is busy living, he doesn’t have time to write!
Right now, Zach and I are in San Diego, crashing at my sister’s new place. There are few things more disorienting that visiting your baby sister in her house (well, techically just a bedroom/bathroom in a house, but still). Thus far, I’ve focused on spending time with her and getting work done— neither very newsworthy. Today I edited a boatload of papers, stress-ate half a Little Caesar’s pizza, edited another gaggle of stories, then went grocery shopping with Zach and met Mary at the bus stop on her way back from work. Zach cooked us a delicious Mexican meal. We had strawberries and shortcake for dessert. We all cleaned up the dishes. I feel like I’m going to explode with food.
Another day, another night feeling ready to crash into deep sleep. I consider this day seized.

Fajitas have varying effects on those who consume them.
~~~

1 comment:

  1. Well, like Thoreau, Annie Dillard always says writing is no substitute for living. : )

    ReplyDelete