Monday, August 1, 2011

Insomniac Folklore Tour: Down Days

August 1
On the 30th we left Minneapolis in the morning for the 7+ hour drive to Grayslake, Illinois for a show at a teen center called The Oasis. A handful of people showed up, and we listened to the other singer/songwriters performing before and after us. The woman who started The Oasis, Joyce, and her son Eric offered us lodging for the night, as well as a truckload of food, so we spent the night comfortably. Since we didn’t have a show the next day, they let us crash again. I spent most of the day working, hanging out with Joyce and Eric, and having pillow fights with Tyler and Amanda (I now have at least one bruise as a battle scar). Then Joyce took us out for pizza at a tavern and chocolate cake and fondue at a wine bar, after which I was so stuffed with bacon-barbecue-chicken double-decker pizza and chocolate-dipped marshmallows and apples and strawberries and cake that I could barely move. After that, we decorated a ceiling tile for The Oasis, and thereby are leaving a part of ourselves in Illinois. It was a good day.
Amanda, Joyce, Eric, Tyler
Today, we head out to Chicago for a house show. I’ve never been to Chicago proper, even though I live in St. Louis, so I’m looking forward to seeing a bit of the windy city. Stay tuned!
New ceiling tile!
~Lisa Shafter

No comments:

Post a Comment