Sunday, July 24, 2011

Insomniac Folklore Tour: Fort Collins

July 22nd
We had a free day in Fort Collins today before our show. I used the morning as an opportunity to get work down in the shady park beside the library. In the afternoon, we hiked out to the river that winds through the town and waded in the icy water. We took naps on our friends’ couches and ate burritos for supper at Everyday Joe’s coffeehouse, where we performed. I felt out of it all day, but it was a time of pleasant sensations: a red squirrel keeping me company in the park, salad made of edible weeds, goosebumps on my wet arms in the sunlight, sweat gathering on my face as I played violin. Today was our last day in the west— tomorrow we head to Kansas for the last couple weeks of tour.
Time continues to be distorted. It seems an age ago that we said goodbye to our friends in Olympia. Sleeping on the salt flats must have happened a month ago, and Cornerstone might have even been last year. I’m not used to packing so much intensity into such a short time: my normal form of travel is much more leisurely, spending a minimum of three days in each place. Here we’re on a mad race to the next venue, as tomorrow’s nine-hour drive through Kansas will continue to illustrate.
~Lisa Shafter

No comments:

Post a Comment