Thursday, June 2, 2022

May-Challenge Poems: Success, Fear, Belief


 In the month of May, author Kaitlin Curtice hosted a poetry challenge on her blog, asking readers to write a poem a day based on a prompt word. Here are some of my favorites that I wrote that month.


May poem day 1: Success


Success

is the art of going from one

spring flower to the other

without a loss of enthusiasm.

Success

is climbing to the top of the ladder

to pick cherry blossoms for your table.

Success

is learning who you are

in the grand web of life

and learning to rest there,

at peace with all your succession

in the dance of things.




May poem day 2: Fear


What shall I do with you?

Put you in a box where you don’t get any air?

Let you trample me like wildebeests?

Throw you again and again into the river?

Alchemize you into anger or a stomachache?

Or sit with you like a crying child and let you feel yourself fully

(which is what I fear most of all)?




May poem day 6: Belief


How do I hold you

without you transforming into something monstrous?

How do I cherish you

without you spreading through the well like strychnine?

You were my closest friend,

my only tenet of faith,

strong and secure,

unyielding,

unwavering,

unbreaking,

unassailable,

untouchable.

Then like a tsunami you yielded

You wavered

You broke

You were assailed

You were touched

by something greater and wilder and more reckless than yourself:

a world destroyed and shattered in every possible way:

Grace.


(View all in this series.)


~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment