Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Three Ways to Eat Kefir


Yesterday I wrote about how to make homemade kefir, which is a cheap, tasty drink (and excellent low-maintenance bacteria pet). Today, here are three ways that I like to use kefir.

1. Smoothies. I love smoothies, and kefir is a great base for practically any recipe. This is Zach’s and my favorite smoothie. We often drink it for breakfast (the chia seeds and kefir provide enough protein to keep my blood sugar stable till lunch) or for a mid-afternoon snack.

a cup or two of kefir
a couple big handfuls of greens (kale and a bit of parsley are super good. Spinach is more neutral— Zach, who hates spinach, confirms that you can’t taste it)
a few teaspoons chia seeds
one banana
a cup or two of frozen mixed berries

Blend the kefir, greens, and chia seeds first. Then add the banana and berries and blend until smooth. You can put this smoothie in a jar overnight and leave it for breakfast in the morning— the color will be a bit wonky, but it still tastes amazing.


2. Overnight chocolate oatmeal. This recipe is so good! Obviously it’s a great breakfast (very filling), but sometimes I’ll pack it for lunch when I’m going to be out and about all day. I almost always eat it cold, but it’s also delicious warm.

about 3/4 cup kefir
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
couple teaspoons of cocoa
teaspoon of chia seeds
dash of salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
walnuts, pecans, or almonds
drizzle of maple syrup

Soak everything overnight in a bowl in the fridge. If it’s too gooey in the morning, add a splash of milk or more kefir.

3. Kefir cheese. I haven’t done this as often, because I use up most of my kefir in smoothies. However, I’ve tried this recipe before and was very pleased with the results.

Pour the kefir into a strainer lined with butter muslin or a cloth napkin. Tie up the ends of the muslin and hang the whole thing over a sink or basin overnight. The whey will drip out, creating a soft cheese. In the morning, scrape the cheese out of the cloth and put it in the fridge. It’s good as a dip, spread on crackers, or as a straight-up substitute for sour cream (although it has a stronger yeasty flavor). 

Enjoy!

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment