Thursday, June 23, 2016

My Garden: Spring and Summer

Well, a week after getting my wisdom teeth removed, I’m finally back to normal. Most of the past seven days are a vague memory in a drug-induced haze (mostly Ibuprofen, to be fair), and it’s been all I can do to keep up with the basic tasks of everyday life. But I’m back! And hopefully that means my consistent blog posts will soon be back, too. 

In other news, it’s officially summer! Ah, June... that time of year where the city comes to life with festivals and events, and the evening woods light up with fireflies, and everyone slams the windows shut and huddles inside and in tearful gratitude thanks God for whoever invented air conditioning. (Or maybe that’s just me?) Still, I’ve managed to get out and about a little bit— Shakespeare in the Park last Sunday (a fantastic performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, suitably enough), a walk in the 93º heat index weather last night at 9:00, mowing the lawn today until my body was drenched with sweat. ‘Tis the season.

Anyway, as I was sorting through my photos today, I noticed a picture of my Square Foot Gardens from early spring, and that led me to compare my garden in spring vs. now in summer. Here are some snapshots to show how the garden changes with the seasons. Enjoy, and stay cool! 


The spring herb garden: dead mint, lavender, oregano, thyme
The summer herb garden: lavender, mint, rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, and more oregano (plus lots of volunteer weeds!)
Spring wildflower garden (the bare patch of earth at the top of the photo)
Summer wildflower garden
Spring tomato bed, ready for planting
Summer tomato bed (with a volunteer squash, a birdbath, some yarrow, and a "bunny habitat" [weed bed])
Spring trees
Summer trees, newly-pruned, with a "living mulch" of clover

Spring Square Foot Gardens
Summer Square Foot Gardens, with a trellis and a bunny barrier!



Peas, lacinato and curly kale, lettuce

Peppers, mutant spinach, lettuce. I love my gardens!
 ~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment