|The blossoms on my tiny Arkansas black apple tree!|
If you’re like me, you didn’t even remember that it was Earth Day until you went to Google to search for something. Well, better late than never— Happy Earth Day, everyone! Here are 22 ways you might celebrate and preserve the natural world today.
1. Eat vegan for a day.
2. Begin a plastic challenge.
3. Take a hike.
4. Start a compost pile.
5. Learn something new about nature.
6. Walk or cycle today instead of using a car.
7. Sit in your backyard and notice the weather, the insects, the grass, the flowers, the little ecosystem.
8. Donate money to an earth-related cause (Zach and I consistently support the Pacific Crest Trail Association in hopes that future generations will be able to enjoy the wilderness that we did).
9. Don’t buy anything today.
10. Research state parks, conservation areas, and wilderness areas near you and plan to visit one soon.
11. Go camping.
12. Plant some vegetables. (In St. Louis, it’s the perfect time to plant carrot, cucumber, and lettuce seeds, as well as pepper and tomato seedlings!)
13. Or plant a tree!
14. Give up bottled water.
15. Think about how you can make your yard more bee- and bird-friendly.
16. Look online for the closest farmers’ market and make plants to attend when it opens.
18. See if there are any Earth Day events happening this weekend. (I’m planning to attend St. Louis Earth Day Festival for the first time— I’m excited!)
20. Walk barefoot in the grass.
21. Learn which vegetables are in season and try a new one.
22. Share your Earth Day celebration ideas in the comments!