Friday, April 26, 2013

100-Word Memoir: Homeschooled


(A note from The Mandolin: I haven’t blogged the past couple days because Zachary and I took our first overnight backpacking trip! More on that tomorrow.)

~~~

I started homeschooling when I was three, sitting next to my oldest brother and copying the letters he wrote. When I turned four, I began teaching my two-year old sister how to read and write.

We grew up in a time when homeschooling was rarer. Mom wouldn’t let us out of her sight during school hours. Friends and family worried. Strangers and acquaintances grilled me about math. Most people assumed I was either a genius or an idiot.

I graduated with an ACT that would’ve snagged me an excellent scholarship for college. But I had other plans in mind.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment