Saturday, March 30, 2013

Walking in a Wintry Wonderland


When the weather breaks, the snow melts, and my husband has a day off work, there is bound to be a lot of walking in my life. That’s been the case for the past couple days: Thursday Zach had off, so naturally we took a jaunt from the Page Extension bridge to my best friend’s house in University City: a 16-mile hike on the side of Olive Boulevard, on smooth sidewalks and slush-heaped shoulders that led us past restaurants, strip malls, movie theaters, highway exits, a previously-unknown-to-me Chinatown, trashy apartment buildings, and finally to the Sesame-Street-like interior of the city. My friend treated us to Panera’s for dinner and drove us back to our car. That night I was so tired and overstimulated that I felt sick to my stomach. 

The natural solution was this: after seeing off my husband to work the next morning, I walked a couple miles to my parents’ house, had lunch with them, and then took off on a six-mile walk with my brother. After Thursday’s walk, eight miles total it seemed like a breeze, but it made me realize that I have a long way to go in terms of endurance. My leg muscles are still knotted today— and if Zachary and I are to walk 2,663 miles in one go, that’s got to change.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment