Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Why Are You Surprised?


I used to do a yearly fundraiser for two charity organizations, one of which is called Voice of the Martyrs (the other was Samaritan’s Purse, also an excellent organization). One of my travel friends, confused by the word “martyrs,” asked what VOM was. 

“It’s an organization that provides support to people who are persecuted for their faith,” I said.

My friend looked confused for a second, and then asked, “Oh, you mean like guys wearing turbans who get targeted in airport security?”

“No…” I wasn’t sure how blunt to be. “Like, people who are put in prison or tortured or killed because they’re Christians.” 

My friend stared at me as if wondering which century I lived in. I told her to go look it up for herself at persecution.com.

There are still many people in the world, and a sadly large number of Christians, who don’t know about the persecution that takes place daily in dozens of countries. I’ve recently felt the call to pray more for my brothers and sisters overseas, and to try to spread the word. Even though I’m aware of these problems, the following blog hit me like a slap in the face:


You can get a free copy of Voice of the Martyrs newsletter via this link. I challenge you to remember our family who are still in chains.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment