Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Travel Tip Tuesdays: Five Places You Should Find in Every City


I’ve heard travelers complain that “every city is the same.” Although I’ve never traveled at such a breakneck speed or for long enough to feel that way, I see what they mean. It’s easy to get jaded to what you see. You can view this as a reason to avoid cities in your travels, or as a way to compare and enjoy each one.

No matter where I’ve been, I’ve discovered that there are five elements that I’ve found charming in every city I’ve visited. If you’re traveling in a city, take some time to experience these:

A hurdy-gurdy musician in Bellingham, WA.
1. Public transportation. And no, I’m not talking about a scenic tour where you get all the landmarks pointed out to you. Hop on the bus, the subway, the train or the ferry, and rub shoulders with some locals. Public transit is a fascinating place to people-watch, and helps you get involved in the culture you’re experiencing. You might even meet someone interesting. (One time on a ferry, I met a woman who ended up showing me around her hometown and then taking me to her home and feeding me supper.)

2. A small grocery store. Tourists almost never shop at grocery stores, so, depending on where you are, your appearance might cause a stir. At Stump’s Family Market in Point Loma, San Diego, my sister and I got into a nice conversation with the clerk, who could tell that we were not native Californians. Plus, you should visit here anyway because it’s cheaper than eating out.

3. A public park. If the weather is on your side, find a park and hang out. You might be invited to a game of Frisbee, overhear an interesting conversation, spy on a gaggle of college kids, or run into some homeless people who want to talk to you. 

4. A ridiculously touristy place. Many people seem to abhor tourists, and by extension, tourist districts. On the contrary, I love both the people and their natural habitats. So go ahead— visit that really touristy place, whether it’s the Pike Place Market in Seattle, Pier 39 in San Francisco, or Old Town Albuquerque. Seeing how a town dresses up for the tourists is fascinating and fun.

A touristy area in Balboa Park, San Diego.
5. A place only the locals know about. After you’ve had your touristy fun, escape to a different neighborhood, try to find a local (preferably one walking a dog; they’re usually nice), and inquire about a place that most tourists don’t go. (Or, if you’re couchsurfing, you can just ask your host.) You can also save a lot of money this way. At my cousin’s recommendation, my sister and I took the ferry from San Francisco to Sausalito— a cheap cruise across the bay just as good as any expensive guided tour.

Sometimes, the similar elements of cities can help you appreciate their differences. The wind-whipped park on the edge of Puget Sound in Seattle has a feel completely different feel from the riverside park in Denver; the farmers market in New Bern, North Carolina, is much more cramped and full of corn than the one in Bellingham, Washington. The people are shaped by their surroundings, and vice versa. Cities are wonderful, but don’t forget that people are the most wonderful part of all.
The local university can be fun to visit, too, such as
the Oklahoma University in Norman, OK. 



~~~
Have a travel question? Leave a comment and I’ll answer in another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment