Thursday, December 13, 2012

Where to Go: Nine Sisters, California



When I told people in California that I was from St. Louis, everyone automatically assumed that I meant San Luis Obispo, located on the coast about halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles. For that reason, and because there was a hostel there, I decided to visit the town as part of my California Hostel Tour in February of 2010. 

In doing so, I discovering uniquely gorgeous countryside— as well as a string of nine volcanic peaks and hills known as “Nine Sisters” or “The Morros.” I only got to actively hike one, but I walked a 20-mile stretch of highway beside them, ending at the bay, where the final sister rose directly out of the water. The views are still vivid in my mind, intense with green grass and yellow wildflowers. And the hikes in this area are some of the best I’ve ever taken.

Why you should go: The incredible countryside between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay is best viewed from these peaks. The hikes are not Midwest-level easy, but they are manageable for even a Missourian like myself. 

How to get there: This helpful site has detailed directions for several different hikes all around the area.

What to bring: Good shoes, comfy clothes (with layers), water and snacks. I also highly recommend taking along a camera and binoculars.

What to do: Hike! If you want to do something else as well, take a drive along Cabrillo Highway, and visit the charming downtown of San Luis Obispo and the touristy but fun waterfront district of Morro Bay. 

What else you need to know: You can either stick to the paths or brave the boulders at the top of each hill for better views. Just watch your step, or you may end up back on the plain sooner than you think!

~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment