Monday, December 10, 2012

Two Christmas Albums


Music is one of the worst and best things about Christmas. From the jab-your-ears-out Muzak, to the spine-tingling renditions of carols, to Jon and Yoko singing about the New Year, ‘tis the season for music, good and bad.

Two of my favorite Christmas albums are Bruce Cockburn’s Christmas and Joan Baez’s Noël. They are synonymous with this time of the year because my dad has been playing them for me for as long as I can remember. The moment I hear either of these musician’s voices, I immediately want to decorate a Christmas tree and set up a Nativity. (As a result, it’s a disorienting experience to hear any of their other albums.)

Bruce Cockburn’s music is infused with a sense of reverence as well as childlike joy (Mary Had a Baby was my favorite song as a kid), and Joan Baez conveys a sense of wonder and tenderness. Her version of O Come, O Come Emmanuel is my favorite that I’ve ever heard.

These albums also include some carols you may have never heard before, such as:

Jesus Ahatonnia (The Huron Carol, in the original language)
If you’re looking for some interesting yet classic Christmas music, check out these two albums. They are worth listening to year after year.

~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment