Thursday, June 14, 2012

Where Should I Go? (St. Louis Zoo)


It makes me happy that I can write a rave review about an attraction in my home city. This is the place I always take out-of-town friends, and the place I stop by whenever I’m near Forest Park. It’s always worth a visit. Yes, it’s the world-famous St. Louis Zoo! 

Why you should go: If you enjoy seeing animals from all around the world, this is the destination for you. The newer exhibits are more natural-looking than a traditional zoo, making for a dynamic animal experience. It features a beautiful array of creatures from all the continents of the world.
What to bring: Cash, for buying frozen treats, face-painting, cuddly elephant plushies, and a ride on the train or carousel. You can afford to do this because the zoo is absolutely free. Every time I walk through the turnstiles, I can hardly believe that I can just walk without paying a cent. The zoo is very big, so wear comfy shoes!
What to do: Every part of the zoo will be interesting to someone— there are no dud displays. However, some of my favorites are the Penguin House (because penguins are absolutely adorable), River’s Edge (featuring hippos, elephants and a host of African and South American creatures), and the Insectarium (because of the butterfly room). The sea lion exhibit coming June 30th looks like it will be fantastic, too.
What else you need to know: The zoo gets very crowded on pretty days, so shoot for an overcast morning during the week. Pay for close parking, or find a free spot on the road several blocks away if you don’t mind walking. Find a map of the grounds and pick your top options: it’s impossible to see the whole zoo in one day. 
The St. Louis Zoo is a world-class menagerie that is worth visiting no matter who you are. Next time you’re in Forest Park, check it out!

~~~

1 comment:

  1. I miss the stl zoo so much! It's not only free, but, from the other zoos I've visited around the country, one of the best!!!

    ReplyDelete