Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Travel Tip Tuesdays: Methods of Transportation


“Which do you prefer for traveling long distances— airplanes, buses, trains, or a car?”
Good question. The answer is, I enjoy all four. Here’s an overview:
Airplanes: If you’re flying from one major city to another (for instance, St. Louis to San Diego), this is often the cheapest option. I swear by Southwest Airlines, which consistently have the lowest fares of anywhere I’ve looked. To be honest, I don’t like bargain-hunting and scrambling around on several different websites poking around, so I’m happy to stick with the airlines I know. The downside of Southwest is that they only fly to major cities, and the seats are pretty small. I’m skinny so this isn’t a problem, but it would be pretty uncomfortable for someone of larger girth. All in all, airplanes are the quickest and most convenient way to get to any city, but not always the cheapest.

Buses: I have tried charter buses before, but honestly, it’s better to ride the train if you’re going to go for that option (see next point). Then there comes the big issue of Greyhound. Most people would rather walk over hot coals that set food on a Greyhound bus, and horror stories abound. That said, I still consider Greyhound a valid (and often fun!) way to get around. Between medium-size and small cities, it’s usually by far the cheapest, and if you buy tickets more than three weeks in advance, you can often get fantastic deals (I got from St. Louis to Miami for a grand total of $74). If you have a calm disposition, a don’t-mess-with-me attitude, a good dose of patience, and something to occupy your time, you’ll be fine. Warning: if you get carsick easily, do not take the Greyhound under any circumstances. Also be prepared to take a shower after reaching your destination.
Trains: Oddly enough, this is consistently the most expensive option of the three— I’m still not sure why. It’s also one of my favorite ways to travel. It’s smoother and less cramped than a Greyhound, but still has the amazing “road trip” feel. When I traveled by train in California, we departed from the highway and ran through open fields next to the Pacific ocean, giving me breathtaking views of ocean, mountains, and waving grassland in between, a maze of rills with remnants of old towns standing stark brown against the green. If you’re traveling a direct route, it’s worth it to give trains a try. However, if you live somewhere off the main path, give up on getting anywhere for less than two hundred dollars one way. 
Car: What can I say? Road trips are amazing, but they’re best when you can share them. If you have two or more people wanting to travel a long distance, this might be cheaper than buying flights or bus/train tickets. Use Gas Buddy to calculate what your trip will cost, then stock up on non-perishable snacks and hit the road!
The short answer to the question is, I love many different kinds of transit, but Southwest Airlines, Greyhound and Amtrak are my three go-to options for solo travel. What are your favorites?
~~~
Have a travel question? Leave a comment and I’ll try to answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment