Friday, March 9, 2012

Ramblin' Road Trip, Day One: Roseburg

Zach and I said our final goodbye around 10:15 on March 7th, filled up the tank of our “brand-new used car,” and hit the road. Now was the beginning of our 3,000-mile road trip to San Diego and over to St. Louis, and it still didn’t seem real.
The trip from Portland to Roseburg takes a fairly unremarkable path through wide-open fields dotted with sheep. Zach and I listened to Coldplay, Pomplamoose, Nickel Creek and Led Zeppelin, in between pointing out the hawks perched in trees by the roadside and the dozens of adorable lambs we saw grazing or cuddling in the pastures.
Our hosts for the first night were the parents of our mutual friend Tyler— we stayed with Bob and Laura the last time we were in Roseburg, and they welcomed us again with enthusiasm and copious amounts of delicious food.  Zach and I took a hike and relived some memories. I soaked in the Oregon landscape, basking in the sight of blue mountains tipped with the remains of winter snow, and the sun sinking over the hills, transforming them from green to indigo. We got to do some visiting with the family and I got to catch up on my blogs a bit. That night, we took a few minutes to stand on the deck outside and look at the stars. I gazed at Orion, my favorite constellation, and felt incredibly blessed to have returned here, seven months later, with a new best friend.
It was a short day, a good start. I couldn’t believe we were actually on the road.
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment