Friday, February 17, 2012

Tales from California: The Beauty of Gumbo

Mary and I spent our last night in San Diego proper with a couchsurfing host, Spencer, who we had met while sailing. Elizabeth came with us to Trader Joe’s, and then Spencer’s apartment, to share in the making and eating of the supper Spencer promised to make. The four of us bustled around the kitchen as Spencer described the proper technique for making perfect gumbo. I chopped carrots, Mary diced celery, Elizabeth showed us a new way to cut onions. The result was, in short, one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten. Creamy, rich, and flavorful, the gumbo filled me with a warmth and comfort.
There is a sense of quiet joy in making food together: the slicing and dicing and stirring and measuring and tasting. Incidentally, last night in Portland I helped make cream cheese brownies with my friend Ivy, and I felt the same sort of inner peace that comes when stirring ingredients together and measuring out flour. It’s meditative, it’s beautiful, and it’s a lot of fun. Viva la cuisine!
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment