Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sailboat Couchsurfing

When Elizabeth from couchsurfing said she could fit us into her 34’, I assumed she meant a trailer. It turns out she meant a sailboat. Docked in one of San Diego’s many marinas, she sets up camp in tight living quarters, and isn’t afraid to stuff that space with friends. When she first handed us a key to the docks so we could come and go as we pleased, I had no idea how intense the next few days would be.
Mary and I have a double bed on the boat with a narrow aisle beside us, and another couchsurfer (Joe, who just biked across America on a whim), crams into the corner berth. Our days have been spent rambling around various neighborhoods of San Diego. Pacific Beach has a McDonald’s with reliable wi-fi. Coronado Island has sparkly sand. A marine on the bus struck up a conversation. Elizabeth took us out sailing (that deserves its own blog, with pictures). Our evenings have been spent with Elizabeth’s friends.
These friends are intense and jovial. Long-haired Murph is a vegan chef who never wears shoes and searches people’s faces with piercing eyes. Tall Neeno, with the swagger and smarts of a con man, has jerry-rigged his smartphone to change the music on the juke box of a bar halfway across town. Spencer and Bill are weathermen for the navy who have traveled the world. Britney’s voice sounds like a cartoon character and she is trying to lay off the booze. Altu is a sweet-smiling Turkish immigrant who is trying to meet more couchsurfing people. And Carrie, not a friend, is a constantly-drunk-and-stoned foundling who wanders over to Elizabeth’s boat uninvited, just to make things more interesting. These people have been in and out through the evenings, bearing alcohol, guitars, joints, LED-light-up hoodies, vegan burritos, and countless stories of their strange sea-faring lives. It’s been a whirlwind. Elizabeth makes soup and spaghetti. I drink Coke and tea so I don’t have to refuse every drink she offers me. The weekends are for partying. I realize I’m not much of a partier. We cram into small spaces and talk about human connection in a world of technology. We talk about boats. We talk about how nobody can poop on a boat. We talk about beer and Europe and why there's not racism in Istanbul and the different kinds of seasickness. Every night I curl up exhausted.
At night the boat sighs and creaks and in the distance sea lions bark. When I’m on solid ground, I feel like I’m still moving, still snuggled under covers in the blackness of night, hiding from a terror I can’t put into words. The sea is close here. The people are restless. The nights are dark. I will remember this time forever.
~~~

2 comments:

  1. Traveling Mandolin!

    cd you pass my name along to Elizabeth, or give me her name on the cs site? I'm coming to sd in about a week and want to meet cs people there who are into sailing or windsurfing.

    tx,

    tom arnall
    arcata ca

    ps. has the sailing bug bit you yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tom!

    I don't give out anyone's personal information on my blog, but if you are a member of couchsurfing, check to see if there is a SD sailboat group, and if there isn't, post something in the San Diego group to see who is interested.

    No, the sailing bug has managed to stay away from me. My heart is in Missouri, and although we have a nice river, I prefer to keep my shoes on solid ground.

    Good luck!
    Best wishes.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete