Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cornerstone Festival: A Collage

Click for a larger view


This is the final epilogue to the Insomniac Folklore summer tour: a collection of 100 faces (101 if you count the turkey) from Cornerstone. I know several of these people, but the majority are strangers who I ambushed and said, “Can I take your picture for my blog?” The most common response was a slightly creeped-out look and a stuttered, “Uh… sure?” Sometimes they’d talk to me, and sometimes they’d move on quickly without saying goodbye. Some refused to do anything but a pleasant smile, while others were delighted when I said, “Make a face!”
The project was a good stretch for me— I have a hard time asking strangers for anything, even if it’s just a photo, and I also have a fear of bothering or interrupting people. However, out of the 130+ people I asked, only one said no, and she was a middle-schooler. 
I had intended to finish the collage while on tour, but as you can see, that didn’t work out so well. Although I assembled the collage about a week ago, I didn’t really organize it until yesterday and today. It’s been a long time since I worked in Photoshop, I realized. My biggest mistake was forgetting to name the layers, so I had 97 unnamed layers without knowing which one went to which face. I sorted that out this morning and tweaked the placement of each photo until I was happy with it.
Sorting through the faces brought back great memories of Cornerstone. Each of these souls has a story to tell, a life to live, a unique way to serve God. I’m glad that I could catch a glimpse of who they are to put together in a picture of the people I was honored to meet at the festival this year.
~Lisa Shafter

No comments:

Post a Comment