Monday, May 16, 2011

Epic Trip Out West, Day Forty-One: A Long Way Home

Today, I fought an epic battle with bindweed and, for the most part, won. The earth was dry and crumbly beneath my fingers as I rooted up the vicious plant more commonly known as “morning glories,” but a warm sun and a cool breeze kept me at the perfect temperature. Listening to Vivaldi’s Spring seemed fitting, and when Long Way From Eden by Watching Judas shuffled into my iPod, I paused and looked up at the cloudless sky, the wide plain and the mountains, rusty red and green through the sharp springtime air, and everything just seemed to fall into place. I’m still missing home, but I’m over the worst of it for now. It’s a new day, and the sky is blue, and possibilities are falling into place.
~Lisa Shafter
Budget notes: Today, I booked my Greyhound ticket from Colorado Springs to Tucscon. The price made me flinch, but it’s not bad for a trip of 957 miles. Unfortunately, I now have deficit rather than leeway, so it will be my challenge to rack my savings back up over the new few days. We’ll see how it goes. (Incidentally, I'm going to Tucson because I have family there.)
Money spent today: $138.60 (bus ticket)
Deficit: $45.27

No comments:

Post a Comment